Everyone has a skin type — what’s yours? Knowing your skin type will help you know exactly what your skin needs and help you to pick products that will actually work. Each product in your skincare routine should be tailored the type of skin you have - use the wrong product and you may well end up with the reverse result you were looking to achieve!
So how much do you really know about your skin? This is our handbook to help you find out what your skin type is (and a few little tips, and products you should use). Let’s dive in.
Tightness? Flaking? Hello and welcome to dry skin. It just feels uncomfortable…all of the time. On the more dramatic end, this kind of skin gets red and little fine lines easily. You can tell this skin type by:
- Being slightly flaky.
- Feeling tight or uncomfortable.
- Be prone to fine, crepey lines
- May have rough or flakey patches
- Dry skin can often indicate an impaired barrier (and an inability to retain moisture in the skin). Support the skin’s natural moisture barrier by replenishing it with hydration in the form of creams, serums and oils.
What you need: Fix My Face
With key ingredients such as shea butter and coconut oil, Fix My Face will give any dry skin a beautiful and natural juicy glow. With high concentrations of fatty acids and vitamins, key ingredient Shea Butter is notorious for having anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Pair this with Magnesium which enhances the appearance of skin by regulating its sebum production, and you’ll be well on your way to soft, hydrated skin.
Ever taken a phone call and left a greasy film on your phone? Or found your face to always be shiny, prone to blemishes and congestion, and generally features large, coarse pores? Then chances are, your skin type is probably oily. Some telltale signs include:
- Feels slick to the touch and has a shiny appearance
- Produces oils in the T-zone and cheek area
- Pores are enlarged
- Prone to blackheads and acne
- Steer clear of over-moisturising your oily skin, instead opting for products that contain non-comedogenic properties. Pair with a face wash with balancing properties to combat oil production and keep pores clear
Nourish My Face contains core ingredients of shea butter and almond oil, which is proven to be excellent for oil skin by dissolving sebum and thus preventing breakouts. Contrary to their name, the truth is that some oils are actually good for oily skin. In spite of buttery or oily consistency, these ingredients have a zero comedogenic rating meaning it will not clog your pores at all!
Pair with Face Off Face Wash, a cleansing gel which features key ingredient Kakadu Plum - known for its strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, helping to restore balance to the skin.
Shiny AND dry patches? At the same time? If you have combination skin, you might be greasy in some areas and dry in others - and usually this is worsened with products or the weather. Spot combination skin with:
- Usually, dry on the cheeks but oily in the t-zone
- Enlarged pores (usually on the nose)
- You will find your T-zone is usually the oily area, and the circumference of your face and cheeks are usually drier - you’re dealing with two different skin types on the same face.
- It’s important to customise your skincare routine to cater to the different zones of your face – not one size fits all with this skin type.
Contrary to what you may assume, dehydrated skin isn't necessarily 'overly dry' skin. Dehydrated skin can be oily, combination, or normal skin type that is lacking water and feels tight. Signs to watch out for:
- Dullness, tightness, increased sensitivity, rough texture, dark undereye circles
- Skin is visibly dry and may have rough or flakey spots but produces excessive sebum
- Often mistaken for oily skin due to oil production, in turn making it worse by using drying products
- Should be treated as dry skin, despite an oily appearance
What you need: Fix My Face
With key ingredients such as magnesium, shea butter and coconut oil, Fix My Face will give any dry skin a beautiful and natural juicy glow. With high concentrations of fatty acids and vitamins, key ingredient Shea Butter is notorious for having anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Fix My Face also features Magnesium, which replenishes vital minerals and essential nutrients to keep skin moisturised all day long. Dehydration, be gone!
Redness, bumps, scaling, itching, and burning—the hallmarks of sensitive and reactive skin. Usually triggered by contact allergies or an underlying symptom of something else, everybody’s skin has the potential to become ‘sensitive’, although some people experience ongoing symptoms. Here’s how to tell:
- A tendency to redden easily
- Prone to reactions from various products
- Stinging or uncomfortable sensations, particularly after cleansing
- Prone to rashes and irritations, can burn easily with sun exposure
- Often a game of trial and error and experimenting with products – familiarise yourself with commonly irritating ingredients such as fragrance and harsh chemicals and avoid them as much as you can
For those with sensitive skin, we recommend gravitating towards more gentle, soothing products to avoid irritation. Our Skin Food serum is the perfect addition to your daily routine and features Aloe Vera as a core ingredient - a naturally soothing gel that contacts antioxidants, enzymes, Vitamins A and C, and it is highly anti-inflammatory. It can also help to treat burns, acne and dry skin!
All products have the added benefits of Magnesium to ensure the skin has the necessary enzymes that regular DNA replication and repair, helping to smooth redness and inflammation.
Victim to adult-acne? You’re not alone. If you notice big, cystic bumps every so often, you can be considered acne-prone. Surprisingly, another giveaway that you have acne-prone skin is if you've got an oily scalp or dandruff. Signs to look out for:
- Prone to acne
- Usually combination to oily skin
- Certain products easily cause acne flair-ups
- Can be caused by sensitive skin or hormonal imbalances
- Look for oil-free cleansers and moisturisers with anti-inflammatory properties
A daily cleansing gel, Face Off features Kakadu plums, a herbal medicinal plant especially known as a traditional antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. This means that when applied to the skin, it can reduce swelling, redness and even help get rid of bacterially-induced acne.
Magnesium helps to reduce cortisol production, a huge help when it comes to breakouts and hormonal imbalance. Ugly Bits Stick is a concentrated form of magnesium, making it an effective tool to apply directly to affected areas to reduce inflammation, especially anything inflamed due to acne-causing bacteria invading the skin.